Saturday, October 29, 2011

Don't Give a Fuck


When you read that title you kinda thought I was bad-ass, didn’t you? Don’t you just love that phrase? I do. I really love it. Not that I’m partial to swearing, I just really love that quote. It conveys something SO much more than “I could care less.” Six year olds say that to their mom when she tries to withhold desert, for not eating vegetables. When someone says “I don’t give a fuck,” you are listening. Admit it. You are thinking, "Who is this person? They must really not care about mundane things, like swearing, and clean socks, because their mind is occupied with other superior and intensely interesting things. This person is probably a very awesome individual. I bet they are super smart and creative, and probably make Tiramisu without a recipe and have a degree in organic chemistry or something.”
You may not have these exact thoughts, but you know what I mean. 
Despite my adoration for this quote, I don’t think I’ve ever used it. I mean, maybe when I was 15, (and trying on the “sullen indifference” for my friends approval), but, really, I can’t recall ever saying it. I realize that I’ve always wanted to not give a fuck. Quite the opposite, I’ve spent the last 25 years of my life constantly giving a fuck. In nearly every area of my life, I have constantly sought approval from family, friends, and people who I wanted to be my friends. My life has nearly revolved around my constant macrocosm of worry. This is incredibly exhausting, and, I think we can all agree, a very pathetic way to be, and in stark contrast to Not Giving a Fuck.
I aspire to be that person who doesn’t give a fuck. Jeans just a little too tight- highlighting a growing muffin-top? Don’t give a fuck. The car has just enough gas to get where I’m going, and might die upon re-starting? Don’t give a fuck. Accepting a dinner invite at 9:00, despite having to get up the next morning at 5? Don’t give a fuck. WOW!!! Can you imagine this mindset? How liberating!!! Maybe I’ll wear my favorite t shirt to the grocery store, despite the grease stain on my left boob. Yeah! Don’t give a fuck!!!

Within socially acceptable guidelines, not giving a fuck is a fucking AWESOME way to be. I will try, (at least for the next 24 hours), to not give a fuck. If anyone tries to stand in my way, I will tell them to go fuck themselves. That one’s a good one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment